Artificial Intelligence (AI) has no longer remained an evolving technology. The technological evolution of artificial intelligence and machine learning along with other advanced technologies have created a significant impact across various industries. The agriculture and livestock farming industries are no exception to this positive impact. With the inclusion of artificial intelligence in agriculture, the day is not far away when drones directly deliver customized milk to your home with the composition of proteins, milk fat, and solids-not-fat (SNF) that you desire.
Need of artificial intelligence in agriculture
- Agriculture is the main occupation of the people in several countries globally.
- The global population at the beginning of 2022 was around 7.87 billion. This is expected to cross 8 billion in the next couple of years.
- In order to feed the ever-increasing population, there will be tremendous pressure on the land for production of food.
- Using the traditional methods of farming won’t be sufficient for meeting the demands of the rising population.
- For this purpose, the inclusion of artificial intelligence in agriculture is important.
- Several agricultural companies and farmers are looking out for evolving technologies such as artificial intelligence, and machine learning technology to improve the quality and quantity of production of crops and livestock products.
Artificial intelligence in agriculture – A move towards growth and sustainability
- The technologies of artificial intelligence and machine learning can learn, understand, analyze, and then react just like humans do.
- There is a paradigm shift being witnessed from the information era to artificial intelligence age.
- For disruptive growth to take place in agrarian economies, technological evolution is important.
- What is even more important is implementing evolving technologies in different sectors including agriculture and farming.
Implementation of AI in livestock farming
- Entrepreneurs around the world have identified real potential and scope in the livestock farming industry.
- The two main reasons behind the real growth potential of livestock farming are the increasing demand and purchasing power of customers, and also the willingness to pay a higher price for fresh and quality livestock products.
- Heavy investments in the livestock sector will facilitate introduction of the latest tools and technologies in the livestock industry.
- Adopting the latest livestock farming technology will not only help to increase productivity, but also improve supply chain management.
How can the use of artificial intelligence in agriculture help livestock farms?
Understanding the impact of using fodder
- In today’s world, most farmers, and small and large dairy farms feed animals with fodder without understanding its quality and the impact on milk production.
- Making use of the best grade fodder can help to increase the quantity and quality of milk.
Monitoring the health of farm animals
- The use of AI powered drones, cameras, and smart monitoring systems can help farmers effectively monitor the health of all the animals in the farm.
- Data analysis through AI-powered images can help in early detection of injuries and diseases in farm animals that could directly impact the production of farm products.
Automation of processes
- The implementation of livestock farming technology helps in automation of key farming processes.
- Automation in livestock farming can help boost productivity and save valuable time for farmers.
Predicting consumer behaviour
- Based on analysis of patterns, livestock farms can help analyze consumer behaviour.
- Understanding the buying patterns of customers help farmers and dairy farms to streamline their supply chain management process, and ensure that there is no under or over-production.
Jaguza Farm – A real-world example of livestock farming technology application
- The Jaguza livestock system involved a powerful combination of artificial intelligence and machine learning, and tensor flow algorithm to keep a track on various activities of livestock animals.
- Body temperature, drinking water, resting, eating, and many others can be easily detected and tracked using the Jaguza Livestock app.
- Jaguza makes use of wearable sensors to learn about the patterns of the movement of livestock animals, using which it generates ML models.
- The Jaguza System helps detect digestive problems and other illnesses in animals early.
- Early detection and identification of health-related problems help to keep the farm animals healthy and increase productivity.
- The Jaguza app provides real-time information to farmers about the livestock and helps in effective monitoring and surveillance of the farm animals.
- With the power of artificial intelligence, machine learning, and thermal sensors, and chip technology, farmers can get valuable insights on feeding patterns and disease detection.
The use of artificial intelligence in farming can help increase the yield of farm animals and take good care of them. Managing farm animals is likely to become really easy with the implementation of livestock farming technology.