Artificial Intelligence has transformed various industries and even the education industry world-wide. The use of artificial intelligence in education has made the concept of smart classrooms a reality. In today’s knowledge-based society, AI-powered learning systems along with other technologies have brought about a revolution in education.
Artificial Intelligence is the ability of computers and devices to mimic (replicate) human intelligence.
Availability of different online courses and tech-based learning systems
- In the traditional classrooms, the education model is based on one teacher (instructor) teaching several learners at one time.
- The instructor passes on information on various topics and lessons to the students.
- In today’s world of education technology, there are several AI-powered learning systems and courses that mimic the traditional classroom set up.
- Many learners, especially in the field of engineering, are using intelligent learning systems along with the regular studies.
- The various learning systems aim at carefully paying attention to the existing knowledge of students and providing them mastery in the specific topic for which the course is being conducted.
- Millions of students across the globe are able to learn and grasp new concepts and skills through open-learning courses on Coursera, Udemy, Khan Academy, Future Learn, and other platforms.
- These online learning courses have videos, animations, assessments, and practice sheets for the learners.
- Many engaging learning systems also make use of engaging technologies like augmented reality, virtual reality, games, and simulations.
- Without any doubts, the educational technology of learning systems has integrated well with formal learning.
- But, what about their effectiveness?
Measuring the effectiveness of learning systems
- Is it possible to measure the effectiveness of the instructor or faculty member who is passing on the knowledge to the learners?
- Can the effectiveness of an instructional training program be measured?
- The main purpose of most educational institutions is to nurture the minds of students with in-depth knowledge and skills for a particular course. For example, an Engineering degree.
- Within an engineering institute, there will be different departments.
- The end goal or purpose of each department will be aligned with that of the institution. However, each department may approach teaching differently.
- The accreditation of each department is done on the basis of how close it gets to achieving its instructional mission.
- For example, the tutors of Department A are considered to be brilliant since they are able to move the instructional mission forward and receive good student feedback and reviews.
- On the other hand, if Department B follows a unique teaching style, but the content and style of teaching is not able to successfully accomplish the instructional mission, hence, it is considered to be ineffective.
- There are different ways by which the effectiveness of the education model and learning system can be assessed. Some of these include measuring the expected learning outcomes, rankings of the learners after the course is completed, self-evaluation by teachers, evaluation through external faculty members, assessment of portfolios of different members in the department, and much more.
- Even the participants should have a checklist of assessing the teachers. Some of the parameters that can be a part of this checklist include level of organization, course knowledge, level of rapport with students, checking whether participants have understood the concept or not, etc.
Artificial Intelligence in Education – Making the learning system fun and interactive for learners
- The use of artificial Intelligence in education has the power to transform and revolutionize the learning systems and structures on a wide scale, from student counselling to learning objectives.
- Educational technology refers to the use of different software, tools, and equipment for education.
- Most educational technologies are limited to the smart classrooms for teachers in today’s world. They are going to be easily accessible to the students in the coming years.
- There are many intelligent learning systems for students that have game-based activities.
- The use of gamification for effective education makes learning fun and interactive for the learners.
- Once a fun-activity is completed successfully, the participants are rewarded for their success.
- In a real-world scenario, it is difficult to create a sophisticated experimental laboratory with all the latest tools and equipment. The use of computer simulation makes it possible to create a virtual experimental laboratory, where the learners can perform different experiments hands-on in a virtual setting.
- Along with artificial Intelligence in education, the power of virtual reality (VR) makes it possible to optimize learning outcomes for students through 3D imagery.
- VR creates a simulated environment for the learners where they can learn a particular concept in an interactive, engaging, and experiential way.
- Augmented Reality (AR) creates a learning system where digital objects and elements can be placed in the real-world of students, so that they get a better understanding of it.
- Another use of artificial Intelligence in education is educational robots that have a physical presence and engage with learners to help them perform various learning activities and enhance their learning experience.
- There are DIY (Do-It-Yourself) activity kits available for STEM learning, where students can learn robotics, programming, and electronics. The main benefit of DIY kits is learners get to learn concepts practically.
Online courses for personalized learning
- There are various online courses that offer enriching learning experiences to students, from simple to in-depth contents.
- It is a fact that every student is different and learns at his/her own pace.
- The educational technology used in classrooms already has a solution for personalized learning and mastery over a course content.
- With the latest learning system and educational technologies, a student needs to complete and successfully master one course concept before proceeding to the next one.
Artificial Intelligence in education along with other educational technologies has got tremendous scope and potential in the knowledge-based society. Effective education and educational technology are processes that are constantly improving. Artificial Intelligence in education can be used to keep a track of the smart classrooms and the interaction between course instructions and students.